Yellow Columbine - yesterday was a very scary day here in Colorado Springs. Phil had a PT appointment at 10:30 so we left the house about 10:00. The blizzard was supposed to hit us in the afternoon, but it was already snowing hard and the wind was really blowing. When we got to PT, it was closed. He also had an appointment with his podiatrist to treat a wound on his foot, so I called them and asked if we could come early. That was about 10 miles from PT. By the time we got there, the weather had gotten quite a bit worse and cars were starting to slide around. I was beginning to worry about getting home. The side windows were completely icing up in just a minute or two, so we had to keep lowering the windows every few minutes to keep the ice off. We got out of the podiatrists a bit after 12:00. We could not see more than a couple of feet in front of us. I managed too get out of the parking lot by looking at where the landscaping was and staying fairly close to that because we could not tell where the pavement began or ended. At this point, we were about 5 miles from home. We thought about going to our daughters, which was a bit closer, but I opted to go for a major highway because there would be other cars that I might be able to follow. I've never experienced anything so scary. The defrosters were on high, but we still had to open one window to keep the windshield from fogging up. We could not tell where the road was and could not see another car unless we were almost on top of it. I did not think we could possibly get home safely. We did make it to our house after an hour. I was shaking so hard. I immediately called my son-in-law to see if my daughter had gone into work and, of course, she had. I told him to call her and tell her to stay put for the night, but she had already left. She got onto I-25 in her little Fiat, which had snow tires, and after about four hours she had managed to get about halfway home. Then they closed the highway. When she got off the highway, most of the major roads she would take to get home were closed, so she had to keep trying other routes. She got stuck at one point. Her husband set off to try to get to her, so they decided to try to meet up, which they eventually did. They got back to their neighborhood nearly eight hours after Heather had left work. Her car got stuck there, so they pushed it to the side of the road and left it. Meanwhile, their son, our grandson, had left Boulder that morning to come home to meet a friend for spring break. Spencer was forced to leave I-25 about 30 miles from here and his car slid into a ditch and then he could not get it restarted. It was getting dark then. He had been on the road all day. He was rescued by a cop who took him to a local church which had no heat. Later last night, a bus came from Castle Rock, CO and loaded up all the people who had taken shelter in the church and took them to a rescue center in Castle Rock. He spent the night there and is still there. Thanks heavens, it all turned out ok, but it was a miserable day wondering if our family would be safe. Take care all of you who are getting this storm now!
102 / 1929